- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups dulce de leche
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Warm the Ingredients: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the cream, milk, and 1 cup of dulce de leche, stirring constantly until the mixture is blended and steam begins to rise (about 4-5 minutes).
- Mix Egg Yolks and Sugar: In a large heatproof or metal mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar (if using), vanilla, and salt until blended.
- Combine and Cook: Slowly add the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly until fully incorporated. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Cook without boiling, stirring slowly and continuously, until the mixture thickens to a custard-like consistency (6-10 minutes).
- Strain and Cool: Set a fine-mesh sieve over a clean bowl and pour the custard mixture through. Set the bowl in a larger one filled halfway with ice and water and cool the custard to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until chilled.
- Churn the Ice Cream: Transfer the custard mixture to an ice cream maker or Kitchenaid mixer attachment and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. At the end of the freezing stage, add the remaining ½ cup dulce de leche into the churning ice cream until it is swirled throughout.
- Freeze: Transfer the ice cream to a freezable container with a lid (like a loaf pan), cover and freeze until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
Serving: Once the ice cream is firm, it’s ready to be served. Use an ice cream scoop to serve it into bowls or cones. The ice cream will be rich, creamy, and full of caramel swirls.
Storage: If there are any leftovers, keep the ice cream in the freezer. It’s best consumed within a week for optimal flavor and texture.
Tips for Success:
- Quality of Ingredients: Use high-quality heavy cream and fresh whole milk for the best flavor and texture.
- Custard Consistency: Ensure the custard is thickened properly; it should coat the back of a spoon but not boil.
- Churning: Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions closely for the best results.
- Dulce de Leche Swirls: Add the remaining dulce de leche towards the end of the churning process to create beautiful swirls.
- Freezing Time: The freezing time might vary depending on your freezer. Check the ice cream after 3 hours; it should be firm but not too hard.
- Garnish: Top with extra dulce de leche, a sprinkle of sea salt, or chopped nuts for added texture and flavor.
- Pairing: This ice cream pairs wonderfully with warm desserts like apple pie or brownies.
Additional Ideas and Variations:
- Coffee Twist: For a coffee-infused version, add a shot of espresso or strong coffee to the milk and cream mixture. This adds a delightful depth and complements the caramel flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: Stir in chocolate chips during the last few minutes of churning for a chocolatey crunch.
- Nutty Flavor: Add chopped toasted nuts like pecans or walnuts for an added texture and nutty flavor.
- Fruit Swirl: Swirl in some raspberry or strawberry puree before freezing for a fruity contrast to the caramel.
- Cookie Pieces: Mix in crushed cookies like Oreos or shortbread for a fun twist.
Creative Serving Ideas:
- Ice Cream Sandwiches: Use your homemade ice cream to create decadent ice cream sandwiches with cookies or brownies.
- Sundae Bar: Set up a sundae bar with various toppings like sprinkles, syrups, and fruits, and let everyone build their own dessert.
- Affogato: Serve a scoop over a shot of hot espresso for a delightful affogato, an Italian coffee-based dessert.
Note on Consistency:
- The texture of homemade ice cream can be slightly different from store-bought ones due to the absence of commercial stabilizers. If your ice cream is too hard, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy Your Creation:
With these tips and variations, you can enjoy your Dulce de Leche Ice Cream in many delightful ways. Whether you keep it classic or add your own twist, this homemade treat is sure to bring joy and sweetness to any occasion. Happy scooping!